IconTwitter IconFacebook



By Coventry Stox, Mar 7 2017 02:45PM

BriSCA, BSCDA and BMB met on Monday 6th March.

After a lengthy several hour meeting the BMB have resolved some of the difficulties that have arisen following the disappointing recent outcome on the future of Coventry Stadium.

First and foremost in these discussions was that BriSCA and the BSCDA acknowledged the concerns of our valued fans and drivers/race teams and, of prime consideration was the protection of Formula One Stock Car Racing, ensuring its stability and future growth. We have to evolve a critical path moving forward in future years. All fully understand and acknowledge the uncertainties and disappointment this has created.

The meeting focused on ‘where do we go’ as dwelling on how did we get to where we are, whilst we can and have learnt, does not resolve the future. The whole situation at Coventry, whilst frustrating in terms of communication, remains complex and delicate and may at some point have legal ramifications between parties involved which BriSCA and BSCDA can neither influence nor become embroiled in.

We appreciate the patience of all parties, BriSCA and the BSCDA have tried throughout the Winter to offer as much support as they could to the Coventry team to try and engineer a solution, we would certainly have been criticized similarly had we taken decisive action in December in terms of reallocating fixtures etc and then possibly Brandon became a reality in the Spring / Early summer.

All should also understand that whilst we have lost stadiums in the past including iconic ones the situation at Brandon has been somewhat ‘unique’ in its process and the difficulties.

The Coventry promotion, we are encouraged to acknowledge, remain 100% committed to finding a new and replacement venue. The timescale at this point is unknown and we believe that for the future, plans should only be revealed once there is some certainty to progression.

Against that backdrop of ‘where we are’ BriSCA and the BSCDA along with the full co-operation of the Coventry promotion, have to manage for 2017 an unprecedented situation along with planning and consultation for 2018. To this end it is impossible to satisfy every ones ‘ideal’ vision of what that may be, in part due to the complexity of 5 months work in concluding National fixture lists and Championships. It is not quite so simple as relocating Coventry’s events to other venues the first weekend of the month which may appear vacant, other formulae, championships and for example speedway are now committed.

In a co-operative spirit between all parties the BMB can announce the transfer of some of the planned Coventry fixtures, to be hosted in co-operation with venues concerned. Every effort has been made to try and remain on ‘shale’ to maintain a balance where possible and of course, availability.

The following amendments to the 2017 calendar are proposed as follows subject to final confirmation.

Sunday 4th June – Sheffield BRITISH CHAMPIONSHIP

Sunday 6th August – SHEFFIELD

Saturday 2nd September – KINGS’ LYNN

Sunday 8th October – BELLE VUE

Saturday 4th November - STOKE

The Coventry promotion have been allowed some additional time over the next several days to see if any further dates may be accommodated.

To prevent a recurrence of this unusual situation in the future, mechanisms with BMB are now in place with protocols to ensure ‘deadlines’ with regards fixture planning. In this process, BriSCA and BSCDA discussed at length initiatives for restoring medium to long term confidence in the sport which will develop as the year unfolds looking forward to the 2018 season ongoing.

Plans for the 2017 BriSCA Formula One World Championship Final at Ipswich have also been confirmed as follows.

1. This is a one day event at Ipswich on Saturday 16th September at Breaking with tradition, there is no pre event Friday evening in 2017

2. Following exhaustive negation between Spedeworth and Suffolk County Council, the start time is

3. During the afternoon, final timings to be announced ‘ practice’ will take place and Overseas Time trials prior to the start.

4. This event will be a 7 race programme and, exclusively BriSCA F1 with an aim of attracting 90 BriSCA F1 Stock Cars

5. Final format for the event will be announced closer to the event.

6. Advance tickets are already on sale via the Spedeworth office/website

We are ‘truly’ in this together, however unfortunate those circumstances may be and there cannot at this juncture be ‘overnight’ solutions whilst many variables are examined and defined to resolve that important step forward.

Issued: BriSCA / BSCDA / BMB Tuesday 7th March 2017

By Coventry Stox, Feb 27 2017 06:50PM

As you will all be aware, the Coventry Management have endured well documented serious issues throughout the Winter period which have been both delicate and protracted.

BriSCA & BSCDA clearly understand the desire of fans and drivers for up dates on the situation however given the involvement of third parties such as Rugby Council and the confidentiality of ongoing discussion we have continued to support the Coventry management whilst, at the same time, forming alternative plans should Coventry not materialise for 2017 in June as previously suggested. BriSCA are due to meet early next week to hopefully discuss and confirm alternate plans now we have come to the end of a long road for the Coventry team of trying to keep Brandon alive. Following that a revised fixture list for 2017 offering clarity will be issued.

Late last week BriSCA was informed that the return of racing to Brandon was now 'extremely' unlikely in 2017 and the management are continuing pursuing alternative options for a new site and relocation of their dates. As is now in the public domain further news developed yesterday with regard the future of Coventry Bees which in itself had to be a consideration in any release of information.

We do genuinely appreciate the patience of our fans and drivers and truly understand the frustrations of what may appear to have been a lack of any real updates however behind the scenes we have at all times tried to support initiatives to resolve the Coventry issues without prematurely precipitating 'deadlines' until every avenue had been exhausted.

The loss of Coventry, as indeed any iconic stadium, is a major disappointment to our sport. Mr Sandhu remains committed to a replacement site which hopefully will make progress in coming months. However, we have lost major venues in the past and the sport must 'continue' adapt and pull together it's strengths, one being the strong relationship and commitment of BriSCA and BSCDA to continue it's stability and growth,

The prevailing circumstances at Coventry and the way in which the venue exited the sport is sad but beyond control. There no doubt will be a time and place for statements and points of view as facts are made available by the Coventry management in the due course. This is respectfully not a time to speculate or demonise individuals or bodies. In the interim, we are a fantastic sport, in the short term we need to 'pull together' as we still have a great season in prospect.

Further information will be released on 7th March.

By Coventry Stox, Feb 7 2017 05:17PM

CoventryStox would like to announce their decision to postpone the BriSCA Formula One April and May meetings. Unfortunately at this moment in time decisions and agreements still have to be made and we feel it is in the best interest for everyone to postpone the first two CoventryStox fixtures and focus on the British Championship in June.

We would like to thank both BriSCA and the BSCDA for their ongoing support in these times of uncertainty and we look forward to reaching an agreement that suits drivers, fans and everyone involved in the world of Stock Car Racing.

A further update will be given as soon as we have agreements in place and we would like to apologise for the delays in launching the 2017 season.

By Coventry Stox, Jan 29 2017 10:14AM

Mr Sandhu and Mick Horton have completely overcome their recent differences for the sake of Coventry Bees and now have only one joint objective and that is to see the Bees run as the Coventry Bees for the 2017 season. After several weeks of hard work we can happily announce that Coventry Bees will be running in the top flight of speedway and they are both looking forward to a good season of racing.

Even if we are not racing at Brandon at the start of the season we hope that it will not be for very long. Leicester Speedway have given us a lifeline to allow us this breathing space and we would like to thank them for allowing us to use the facility in the short term.

We need the supporters to now play their part and get behind the club and support what we are working towards as we can’t do it on our own.

The BSPA could have made this impossible and we would like to thank Keith Chapman, Rob Godfrey, Colin Pratt and others who have managed to persuade the members to allow us the flexibility we need to rebuild the club. It would have been a lot easier for them to exclude us and instead they have worked hard for the sake of the Bees to allow us to continue to run in 2017.

Michael Stokes has been a constant help and supporter in this process so it would be wrong for us not to recognise his determination to see the Bees continue to operate.

Lastly both Mr Sandhu and Mick Horton would like to thank the fans for the support they have shown them and the continued patience but now we need you to rally round the team. We have done the first part which was to keep the Bees in existence now we need you to show us we were right so please look forwards rather than to the past and lets prove everybody wrong.

By Coventry Stox, Jan 29 2017 10:13AM

COVENTRY Speedway are pleased to confirm they will be competing in the SGB Premiership this season.

The winter has produced an unprecedented series of circumstances which have required extensive and detailed negotiations, involving several parties.

With Brandon Stadium currently unavailable, agreement has been reached for the club to begin the 2017 season with home matches to be staged at Beaumont Park, Leicester.

It must be stressed that this is for the full Coventry Bees team to race under their own name, on their regular Friday race night, whilst Leicester themselves will continue to operate under their own promotion.

Numerous options have been considered over recent weeks, but promoter Mick Horton and Coventry Racing Club chief Avtar Sandhu remain determined that the club will return to Coventry at the soonest possible opportunity.

Work is continuing in this respect but with the need to secure the future of the club of the utmost importance, we would like to place on record our thanks to all parties who have helped facilitate this temporary arrangement.

Horton said: “We had to find a solution which enabled the club to survive whilst the negotiations continue to bring us back to Coventry.

“That is going to involve us racing some meetings at Beaumont Park at the start of the season, and I must place on record my thanks to Leicester for their co-operation.

“We are rivals on-track but they have been more than helpful throughout, and I won't forget that if they ever need a favour in return!

“My thanks also go to the BSPA for their support and understanding of these difficult circumstances, and for allowing us to race at Leicester, and also to Cllr Michael Stokes and Rugby Borough Council for their continued assistance

“It is well documented that Mr Sandhu and I have had our differences in the past. These are behind us; we are both passionate about the Bees and we are both determined for this interim arrangement to work with the ultimate aim of a return to Brandon as soon as possible.

“It is a relief to us all that we will be able to take to the track this season with our seven riders who have had to cope with so much uncertainty over the winter.

“I must also say to our supporters from a personal point of view that it has been frustrating to be unable to provide them with more information at times, and I hope they can respect that.

“We have been working round-the-clock to ensure the club can continue but the nature of our talks have had to remain confidential.

“It goes without saying that this arrangement can only be successful with everyone working together - management, sponsors, supporters, everyone involved.

“I know racing at Leicester for the time being is going to present some difficulties to supporters, I understand that, and we will be looking at various measures in an attempt to make things easier.

“We all realise it isn't going to be straightforward, but this club is too big to just let it fold. That most definitely could have happened during the winter, and we've kept on working to ensure that doesn't happen.

“We've now got to have everyone backing us to make it work, and to prove that we were all right to save the Bees”

Mick Horton